The flavors of warm pears with cinnamon and tart cranberries are even further enhanced with a melted chocolate surprise in the center of this updated classic. I make these so often that I even purchased special individual ramekins for serving.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour –
- ½ cup margarine or butter –
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed –
- ½ cup white sugar –
- 8 Bartlett pears –
- ¼ cup sugar –
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice –
- 3 Tbsp flour –
- Ground cinnamon –
- Cut pieces of candied ginger (optional) –
- 2 cups frozen cranberries –
- 1 3.5-oz. bar good-quality bittersweet chocolate –
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Using your fingers, combine all the ingredients for the crumb mixture until it becomes the texture of coarse crumbs. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
1. Meanwhile, peel and cut the pears into cubes. Place in a large mixing bowl with sugar and lemon juice. Let sit for ½ hour. Add flour and a generous amount of cinnamon and ginger (if desired). Mix well and add cranberries. Mix again. Place into 8 individual ramekins or a deep, round baking dish.
2. Break the chocolate into squares. Stick one into the center of each ramekin, pressing gently to get it into the center of the pear mixture. If you are using one large round baking dish, evenly distribute the squares all around the dish.
3. Sprinkle baked crumbs evenly over ramekins. Bake again for 25 minutes on lower rack of oven. Serve warm.